Wednesday 15 June 2011

Salute to the Original....






Thought it about time I posted an entry regarding one of my biggest influences. John Black, at Magnet Studio. John was responsible for some amazing artwork and I think the first time drum and bass music really saw good design. Previous to this design in drum and bass on the whole had a real ravey almost cheesy feel, with little thought to layout or concept. The underground DIY sensibility was present in the artwork with bad layouts, cliched imagery and little attention to typography.

The designs done by John really bought a mature element to the releases, a sense of style and a really individual identity but also a consistency and a level of quality control. As an avid record buyer myself during that period I spent a lot of time analysing his designs. Years later I would find myself working for a very similar client base. His stuff still remains influential in my work, particularly the attention to layout which I see as a bench mark.

Anyway, here is what I consider to be the best designer drum and bass has ever seen.

Check his site 'Magnet Studio'

3 comments:

  1. Skylab is one of the best sleeves ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow yeah, all the Magnet stuff was amazing. Really influential set of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not forgetting his work on Ram, switching from the old black and white Ram horns to some, at the time, ultra modern graphics.... His logo design is still in use today!

    ReplyDelete